1. What is the criterion for becoming a member of the Muscat Chapter of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India?
The criterion is as follows :
- Should be a qualified chartered accountant
- Should have an active membership with the ICAI
- Should be residing in Oman and hold a valid residence visa.
Newly qualified CAs holding a valid residence visa in Oman may also apply to become provisional members. They would need to approach the Secretary, with proof of credentials.
2. How can a person become a member of the chapter?
After becoming eligible to be a member, you would need to make a payment of RO 30. You would be admitted to the membership after the verification of the submitted documents and other procedural requirements. The Chapter will communicate the confirmation of admission to the ICAI Muscat Chapter.
3. If a person resides in Oman and is already a member of ICAI in India, is it necessary to become a member of the Muscat Chapter to attend events organized by the Muscat Chapter?
Yes. The membership of the ICAI is required for the accreditation of your professional qualification. However, the membership with the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER will entitle you to participate in the activities organized by the chapter and attend the technical seminars hosted.
4. What is the fee of the Muscat Chapter and its validity?
There is an annual membership fee of RO 25 charged by Chapter. This would be applicable for 12 months, from 1st April - 31st March (financial year)
5. When becoming a member of the Muscat Chapter for the first time, does a person need to pay an admission fee in addition to the annual fee of RO 25 ?
Yes a onetime admission fee of RO 5 is to be paid in addition to the annual membership fees of RO 25. This payment needs to be paid in full even when the application is made at any point of time during the relevant financial year.
6. Where can the fee be paid for the chapter?
Considering the convenience of members, it can be paid :
- In cash or by cheque to the Treasurer or his nominee, at the venue of any event organized by the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER. Ensure that you collect the receipt as acknowledgement.
- By cheque by sending it to The Treasurer, ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER. A receipt will be faxed as acknowledgement.
- By directly depositing in our Bank (The Institute of the Chartered Accountants of India - Muscat Chapter, Bank of Baroda, Greater Muttrah Branch, Account No 90120200000717)
Kindly note that all the cheques should be crossed as Account Payee and be payable to "ICAI Muscat Chapter".
7. I have just cleared my CA final and awaiting membership number from ICAI New Delhi, Can I now become the member of Muscat Chapter?
By approaching the Secretary, ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER, with proof of credentials, newly qualified CAs can apply to become provisional members. Please refer to question 1 for more information.
8. What are the benefits of becoming a member of the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER?
Becoming a member of the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER entitles you to attend periodic technical seminars, presentations and meetings on various topics. These will help you interact and enhance your knowledge. You would also be able to participate in various social activities that are organized by the Chapter. Also the mandatory CPE (Continuous Professional Education) credit hours can be obtained by attending the Events organized for that purpose
9. Is it possible to pay the ACA, FCA membership renewal fee through the Muscat Chapter?
Members are requested to directly make payments to ICAI or through online facilities provided by the ICAI. Only the Chapter membership fees are accepted locally.
10. How do I update my email address and residential address?
You can update your profile details by logging on using your user ID. All subsequent communications will be addressed accordingly. Please note that the updated details would only reflect in the records with the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER. You will need to separately update your profile details with the ICAI.
11. How can I participate in the activities of the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER?
In order to participate in the activities organized by the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER, it is mandatory to be a member of the Chapter. If a member is interested in being a part of a sub-committee of the Chapter, they can express their interest through their profile.
To become a part of the Management Committee of the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER, the member should seek to be elected by the other members of the ICAI OMAN MUSCAT CHAPTER.
12. I want to do a presentation at the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER. What is the procedure?
The member should approach the Secretary, ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER with at least an outline of the proposed presentation. The member will receive the consent if the topic is of interest and the content is suitable to be presented to the members of the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER. The decision of the chairman and/or of the Secretary is Final.
13. Does the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER provide assistance in placements?
The ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER does not provide this as a formal service as these activities are regulated by the Economic Department.
However as an incidental service to the members, we will seek to post any vacancies advised to the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER. The member can periodically view this section and apply if they are suitable.
14. Can I submit my Examination Application form to the ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER?
The ICAI MUSCAT CHAPTER assists in conducting various examinations of the ICAI in Oman. However, all examination related documents should be submitted and handled directly with the ICAI. Assistance however, can be sought from the Oman office of the ICAI.
1. What is the process for joining a Chartered Accountancy course?
1. After passing SSC/tenth class, conducted by an examining body that is constituted by law in India or an examination that is recognized by the Central Government, you would need to enroll with the Institute for Common Proficiency Test (CPT).
2. Appear in CPT after appearing in the senior secondary examination (10+2 examination) conducted by an examining body constituted by law in India or an examination recognized by the Central Government as equivalent thereto and after completion of specified period (60 days) from the date of registration for CPT with the Board of Studies as on the first day of the month in which examination is to be held, viz., students registered on or before 1st April/1st October will be eligible to appear in June/December examination, as the case may be. However, the candidate should pass both CPT and 10+2 before registering for Integrated Professional Competence Course (IPCC).
2. Where do the application forms need to be submitted for admission in to the C.A course?
Application forms need to be submitted to one of the four Regional Offices in India depending on where the permanent address of the students is in India. ICAI Muscat Chapter will facilitate students for such registration.
3. Is there a deadline for the C.A course admission?
Please refer to question 1 above.
4. What is the duration of the C.A course?
A student entering CPT course would require a minimum period of 4 years and 6 months to pass the C.A. course
5. Are there coaching classes available for students pursuing the C.A course?
The institute sends the entire study material to the students. The ICAI Muscat Chapter does conduct classes for the benefit of the students.
6. When are the C.A exams held?
The CPT exams are conducted twice in a year in the month of June/December. The IPCC/PCC and Final exams are conducted twice in a year in the month of May and November.
7. How can I apply for exams in Oman?
Application forms for appearing for examinations are available with the Oman office in the month of February and August every year. You need to collect the forms from the Oman office and submit the filled application forms back to them.
8. What is the fee for writing exams from the Oman center?
Common Proficiency Test
This examination is held twice every year in the months of May and November. It comprises of two groups. Candidate can appear, at one sitting, for both groups / group - I / group - II as the case may be subject to fulfillment of the eligibility condition. Each group comprises of three papers as given below :
GROUP - I
Paper - 1
Paper - 2
Auditing and Assurance
Paper - 3
Law, Ethics and Communication
GROUP - II
Paper - 4
Cost Accounting and Financial Management
Paper - 5
Paper - 6
Information Technology and Strategic Management
The fee for candidates is US Dollars $350 or its equivalent Indian Currency irrespective of whether a candidate appears in a Group or Both Groups.
The Chartered Accountants Final Examination is held twice every year in the months of May and November. It comprises of two groups. Candidate can appear for groups / group I / group II as the case may be subject to fulfillment of eligibility condition. Each group comprises of four papers as detailed below:
GROUP - I
Paper - 1
Paper - 2
Strategic Financial Management
Paper - 3
Advanced Auditing and Professional Ethics
Paper - 4
Corporate and Allied Laws
GROUP - II
Paper - 5
Advanced Management Accounting
Paper - 6
Information Systems Control and Audit
Paper - 7
Direct Tax Laws
Paper - 8
Indirect Tax Laws
The fee for candidates is US Dollars $400 or its equivalent Indian Currency irrespective of whether a candidate appears in a Group or Both Groups.
9. The exam form mentions that the draft should be taken from a Scheduled bank. Which bank should the draft be taken from in Oman?
The draft can be taken from any Bank or Exchange Center in Oman drawn on any scheduled bank in India. It can be either a Dollar draft or an equivalent INR currency draft. Exchange rate for conversion would be the date of draft. A Dollar draft would always be payable in US.
10. Is there an examination center available in Oman?
Yes currently Indian School Al Ghubra in Muscat city, is the centre where examinations are held.
11. Where can we purchase the reading material for exams in Oman?
The study materials along with Suggested Answers, RTPs, Compilation etc. can be purchased only from ICAI India. The suggested readings published by private publications are not available in Oman and have to be obtained from India.
12. I am a C.A student registered in India but have recently moved to Oman for employment purpose. What are the formalities that I have to comply with for the Institute?
There is no formality associated with transfer of registration from India to Oman. The student would just have to intimate the Institute regarding the change of address for correspondence so that all future communications may be made to the new address in Oman.
13. Can the 100 hours of Compulsory Computer Training be done in Oman?
No, it can only be done in India.
14. Can we do the General Management and Communication Skills (GMCS) Course in Oman?
Yes, the GMCS course can be done in Oman. Students who have already completed 2 years of the article ship training can enroll for the GMCS course in Oman.